Saturday, September 12, 2009

When it rains, it pours



Life has been absolutely CRAZY for me over the past few weeks! Murphy's Law went into effect pretty much right after I moved to Fort Worth. Two days before my very first CRNA class, my LCD monitor on my laptop decided to blow out! I ended up having to go to Wal-Mart to buy a cable to hook my laptop up to my LCD television just so I could use my computer!!! My living room in my apartment turned into a circus in a matter of minutes! There were wires and cables everywhere. To top things off, I had to put my printer on the floor so it could reach my laptop, which had to remain hooked up to my non-mobile 32-inch screen LCD tv. Because my laptop got so hot I had to place a blanket underneath the laptop to protect the table from the heat (since I'm renting the furniture and have NO desire to buy it).







CRNA school is no-doubt tough. I'm nearly 3 weeks into the program and I've never studied so much in my life. The wealth of information that is fed to us is nothing short of phenomenal. It's a good experience, though. I feel very fortunate, everyday, that I have been allowed this opportunity. Yes, it's a challenge. But what fun is life if you can't challenge yourself, right? I had my very first test this past Friday (September 11) in Anatomy and Physiology. I didn't think it was all that bad, but I had studied extensively for it. That being said, I won't get my grade on it until Monday (September 14). I have a Pharmacology exam Monday and a Chemistry exam on Wednesday. The weekdays are so congested with new information that I spend the weekends just trying to catch-up from the week (absorb all the new info). I am slowly finding my study routine and getting into my groove. It isn't uncommon for me to spend 8 hours or more a day studying (on the average). Days I have class all day (10 am-5 pm) I come home and study from about 6pm-11pm, and then on my "off" days I study about 10 hours or so (including the weekends). Everyone is different, though. This is just the regimen that seems to be working for me. No matter what, though, I make sure I get adequate sleep. I do manage to sleep about 8 hours a night. Things aren't ALWAYS work, work, work. For example, after this past A&P test on Friday, Tarran and I thought a little "de-briefing" was in order, so we went to a little bar/grill called "Snookies" and had a purple margarita, which they lovingly refer to as a "Frogarita!"


My birthday was Wednesday, September 9. I am now 32 years old. Booooooo. I did spend my birthday in Fort Worth, which was unfortunate as I did not get to be with close friends and family in my hometown. I tried to look at it like it was just another day. My sister sent me flowers (see pic below) which was very thoughtful indeed.




I wasn't completely alone. Friends and family called me and sent me all kinds of messages. I still felt very special. It was a pretty great day after all. Chris gave me a special gift. He "wrapped" it up Chris-style in towels and rubber-bands (see below). He got me a brand new netbook computer and peripheral speakers! It was absolutely perfect because I could have a monitor again and actually use my tv for what it was intended for (not that I ever have time)! And I didn't have to be confined to the couch/coffee table anymore. Additionally, the netbook has a built-in webcam and microphone so Chris and I can chat back and forth that way and feel a little closer to each other. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday gift that came at the most perfect time. Here's the pic of Chris's beautiful wrap job! I love him!!!




Up until now, being away from Tulsa (and everyone in it) has been extremely tough on me. I've always been a very independent person who enjoys quality "alone" time, so it really surprised me how difficult it was on me. Inch by inch, day by day, it's gotten a little easier. I think I can say I'm finally "adjusted." Well, I don't cry anymore, anyway. Ha! Ha! I plan on driving home in a couple of weekends, so that also gives me something to look forward to. First things first, though....gotta go study for Pharmacology and Chemistry exams!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment