Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sweet Summertime



Well, here I am again 5 weeks later. I managed to pull through the Summer 1 semester, but it was definitely SUPER hard work!! I was forced to study harder than ever before (from dawn to dusk!), but it was easier for me (mentally) knowing that I only had to do it for a period of 5 weeks straight instead of 16!! I'm currently on my one weekend break (I'm calling it a "leave") before starting my second 5-week "summer 2" semester. After that's (hopefully) successfully completed, I get the privilege of moving on to the much-coveted clinical residency period! Yahoooooo!! I can't wait! This past 5 weeks consisted mainly of learning about the anesthesia machine and equipment, along with various other topics in pediatrics, airway management and fluid and electrolyte management. It is so nice feeling like I am starting to see the light at the end of this very long tunnel! Better yet, we get to go on our Disney World vacation in Florida in 6 weeks!! That is going to be an AWESOME time!!

At the beginning of the previous summer session, I often found it relaxing to go outside in the shade to study on my front or back porch/patio. I made friends with an adorable little baby frog one morning and he visited me for several days afterwards.





Size Reference


As the summer progressed and it got much hotter with highs in the 90s with 50-60% humidity, I had to resort to more "aggressive measures" to stay "cool" outside while enjoying some Vitamin D therapy (AKA Sunshine!)! I engineered a little setup involving my study lawn chair, a mister and a ladder. It was difficult positioning the mister in just the right, accurate way. Too close and my notebook and papers got wet, but too far away and the water would evaporate before even reaching me and I would lose all benefit of the whole "evaporative cooling" concept! Another factor I had to incorporate was the speed and direction of the wind. At any rate, this is what I came up with...






My adorable husband, Chris, gave me flowers and a thoughtful card for "Just because you're my wife" day! He's so good to me, and has been an incredible source of support and reassurance for me this entire past year! I'm the luckiest girl in the world and couldn't ask for a better husband and best friend! Thanks, Chris!!




While school is VERY stressful, I've found that it's helpful to take time to appreciate the humorous things in life. While I was driving to class one morning I saw this car next to me on the highway! Yes, I know it's VERY dangerous and really stupid to be taking a picture of someone else on the highway while driving, but I couldn't resist! So, here it is....apparently a person who had "truck envy" and converted the back of their vehicle into a truck bed!



No comments:

Post a Comment